Jan 3, 2015

The Final Phase

Outlines for the seven remaining chapters
 Happy New Year to everybody for 2015. I hope you had or are having enjoyable holidays and are able to deal with the continuing adventures of Celia Thomas.
Because although I have not posted anything for a while I’ve been busy over the last ten days working out how to end this story. It has not been easy.
The difficulty was that I had too many strands that needed to be resolved. Nine in fact, so one of them had to go and I decided to ditch the idea which I introduced in the last chapter that Celia and the Colonel were about to find treasure in the secret cabinet in the wall behind the paintings. It’s kind of a shame as I liked the whole Famous Five adventure element that having buried treasure introduced and I had gone to a lot of trouble quite early in the book (Chapter 11 – Marcus mentions that the X-ray photographs reveal a hollow space in the wall behind the panels) to introduce the idea of there being something in the wall. Now I shall either have to rewrite various chapters to eliminate it, or else just leave it as a red-herring for readers to get excited about. I haven’t decided yet.
This still leaves eight themes that need to be dealt with:
1 What happens to the pictures in the chapel?
2 Does Tomi reappear?
3 What about Timothy Arnold and the Department of British Export Development?
4 How will the theme of human trafficking and Morfeus Herman be resolved?
5 Is the Colonel a good guy or a bad guy? Does he win his election or end up in jail/dead?
6 Are the tensions between Celia and Franz really all resolved? Should she tell him about her fling with Tomi?
7 What can Tante Ilse and Max contribute to the final stages of the story?
8 Is Ned still alive or not?
I’ve now managed to sketch out an outline for how to bring all these elements together which – according to my calculations – means that there are now only seven chapters to go. How long these seven chapters will take, I don’t know exactly, but let’s be optimistic and say that with luck I should be finished by June 2015. This is something like two years after I had originally planned, but – hey – what’s that between friends?
So, dear readers, stay with me as we approach the final phase. I hope to be able to post chapter 32 by the 11 January. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?